We continue our Year of Happiness with 31 things to see, read, and do to increase wellness in the month of October
1. “It is health that is the real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.” —Mahatma Gandhi
2. Go shopping at your local farmers market.
3. Read The Mayo Clinic Guide to Stress-Free Living, by Amid Sood, MD
4. Read The Kind Diet, by Alicia Silverstone.
5. Watch Supersize Me.
6. “The part can never be well unless the whole is well.” —Plato
7. Run a 5K, 10K or half-marathon.
8. Listen to “Eye of the Tiger,” by Survivor.
9. Read Wherever You Go, There You Are, by Jon Kabat-Zinn.
10. Watch Forks Over Knives.
11. “Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.” —Mark Twain
12. Try a new kind of exercise, like Zumba or TRX.
13. Buy and cook a vegetable you've never eaten before.
14. Read The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin.
15. Watch Food Inc.
16. “A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor’s book.” —Irish Proverb
17. Get a massage.
18. Buy a bicycle, or get a tune-up on the one you have.
19. Read Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom, by Rick Hanson.
20. Try going meat-free or vegan for one week.
21. Get your blood pressure checked.
22. Find out your wellbeing score at YourWellbeingScore.com.
23. Walk or bike to work.
24. Read ChiRunning: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running, by Danny Dreyer.
25. Try going to bed an hour earlier.
26. “The ability to be in the present moment is a major component of mental wellness.” —Abraham Maslow
27. Take a break and meditate.
28. Unplug and spend time with friends.
29. Read Start Strong, Finish Strong: Prescriptions for a Lifetime of Great Health, by Dr. Kenneth Cooper, M.P.H., and Dr. Tyler Cooper, M.P.H.
30. “You're in pretty good shape for the shape you are in.” —Dr. Seuss
31. Go trick-or-treating!