Joshua Smyth: Expressive Writing and Happiness
Joshua Smyth, Ph.D., is a professor of Biobehavioral Health and Medicine at Penn State and co-author of the upcoming book Opening Up by Writing It Down–How Expressive Writing Improves Health and Eases Emotional Pain. Joshua was interviewed for an article in our latest issue of Live Happy magazine about how a 20 minute practice of creative writing can help make you happier, healthier and more resilient. In this episode of Live Happy Now, we talk with him about how expressive writing can help manage stress and improve well-being.
What you'll learn in this podcast:
- What is stress and how we respond to it
- How we attempt to manage stress by coping
- Expressive writing as a useful technique to help manage day-to-day stress
Links and resources mentioned in this episode:
- Download a free sketch note of this episode
- Free download: Creative, Artistic, and Expressive Therapies for PTSD
- Purchase a copy of Opening Up by Writing It Down
- Thank you to our partner—AARP Life Reimagined!
Thanks for listening!
Thank you so much for joining us this week on Live Happy Now. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for Live Happy Now on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are important in helping others find the podcast; we greatly appreciate it! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and we read each and every one of them.
Special thanks to Joshua Smyth, Ph.D., for joining us this week.