When you forgive, you clear a path to happiness.
Forgiving those who have hurt us can be tough. The emotional pain is like a boulder in the middle of the road keeping us from moving forward. When we do forgive, we are removing all obstacles and clearing the path to happiness. Here is our list of ideas to help you on your way.
1. “Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them.”—Bruce Lee
2. Read The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace by Jack Kornfield.
3. Watch Nothing in Common.
4. Listen to “The Heart of the Matter” by Don Henley.
5. Let go of a grudge.
6. “Forgiveness says you are given another chance to make a new beginning.”—Desmond Tutu
7. Read Let It Go: Forgive So You Can Be Forgiven by T.D. Jakes.
8. Watch Radio Flyer.
9. Listen to “Pray for Forgiveness” by Alicia Keys.
10. Walk in another person’s shoes.
11. “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.”—Mahatma Gandhi
12. Read East of Eden by John Steinbeck.
13. Watch The Color Purple.
14. Listen to “Hold Me Now” by the Thompson Twins.
15. Forgive, don't forget.
16. “Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.”—Mark Twain
17. Watch Seven Pounds.
18. Listen to “Hard to Say I’m Sorry” by Chicago.
19. Reconcile with yourself.
20. “When you are happy you can forgive a great deal.”—Princess Diana
21. Read The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.
22. Watch The Wrestler.
23. Listen to “The Prodigal Son” by The Rolling Stones.
24. Call someone you used to be close to long ago.
25. “One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory.”—Rita Mae Brown
26. Read Forgive for Good: A Proven Prescription for Health and Happiness by Fred Luskin, Ph.D.
27. Watch As We Forgive.
28. Listen to “Hate Me” by Blue October.
29. Be the first to say, “I’m sorry.”
30. Listen to “Amen” by Leonard Cohen.
31. Write a brutally honest letter to the person who has wronged you, but do not send it. Keep it in a drawer or destroy it.
32. “When you forgive, you in no way change the past—but you sure do change the future.”—Bernard Meltzer
33. Go to livehappy.com in December for 33 Ideas on Family.