As we head toward the International Day of Happiness on March 20, take time to think about what's really important.
The International Day of Happiness on March 20 is an annual reminder that being happy is important. We here at Live Happy are dedicated to bringing happiness to your life every day of the year. Here are 33 ideas to spark joy for months to come.
1. What are your go-to Happy Acts? Identify and do them!
2. Read The Dalai Lama’s Big Book of Happiness: How to Live in Freedom, Compassion, and Love by the Dalai Lama.
3. Savor the moment.
4. “You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren’t happy in one place, chances are you won’t be happy anyplace.” —Ernie Banks
5. Discover your strengths at viacharacter.org.
6. Watch He Named Me Malala.
7. Be a Big Brother or Big Sister.
8. Listen to “Lifted Up (1985)” by Passion Pit.
9. Be inspirational.
10. Read Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert.
11. Get in the flow.
12. “Happiness is a continuation of happenings which are not resisted.” —Deepak Chopra
13. Take 10 minutes to clear your mind.
15. Read 10 pages from a good book today.
16. Listen to “Great Big Storm” by Nate Ruess.
17. Prepare your favorite recipe.
18. Read Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand In the Sun and Be Your Own Person by Shonda Rimes.
19. “Every gift from a friend is a wish for your happiness.” —Richard Bach
20. Find a Netflix/Showtime/PBS/HBO series you’re crazy about and go on a weekend binge.
21. Watch Oprah Winfrey Presents Belief.
22. “Loving-kindness and compassion are the basis for wise, powerful…actions that can really make a difference—in our own lives and those of others.” —Sharon Salzberg
23. Like Katharine Hepburn, eat a little bit of very good chocolate (try Belgian) every single day.
24. Read Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling.
25. Listen to “Can’t Hold Us” by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis.
26. Take Shawn Achor’s new online course “21 Days to a Happier Life.”
27. Read Paddle Your Own Canoe: One Man’s Fundamentals for Delicious Living by Nick Offerman.
28. “I’ve come to believe that seeking happiness is not a frivolous pursuit. It’s honorable and necessary. And most people forget to even think about it.” —Goldie Hawn
29. Listen to “Mr. Wendal” by Arrested Development.
31. “Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears.” —John Lennon
32. Listen to “Remedy” by Adele.
33. Come back in April for our 33 ideas on positive parenting.