Dan Tomasulo, Ph.D., is a sought-after speaker and author on topics including positive psychology, positive education and positive psychotherapy. His new book, American Snake Pit: Hope, Grit and Resilience in the Wake of Willowbrook, tells the story of the fallout after the closing of New York state’s most controversial state hospital for the mentally disabled. After a groundbreaking expose from Geraldo Rivera about the horrendous living conditions at Willowbrook State School, including overcrowding, patient abuse and questionable treatment methods, plans were made to close its doors. Dan, then a young post-graduate student, was hired to relocate and treat its most seriously disabled residents.
What you'll learn in this episode:
- How storytelling can be used as a positive intervention.
- Why group therapy and role playing can be an effective tool toward positive mental health.
- How to practice a virtual gratitude visit.
Links and resources mentioned in this episode:
- Read the first 2 chapters of American Snake Pit for free!
- Purchase his book American Snake Pit: Hope, Grit and Resilience in the Wake of Willowbrook.