It’s time to go back to school, and for some kids — and their parents — that means a whole lot of stress. This week, host Paula Felps talks with Dr Laura Phillips, the Senior Director and a Senior Neuropsychologist in the Learning and Development Center at the Child Mind Institute. Laura specializes in working with children who have learning disorders, mood disorders and anxiety, among other things, and in this episode, she explains how going back to school can create anxiety for kids of all ages and how it also can affect their parents. Then, she tells us what we can do about it.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Some of the causes of back-to-school anxiety and why it is more prevalent today.
- The role that social media plays in cultivating greater anxiety — and how to manage it.
- Tips for starting the school year smoothly and creating new morning practices.
Links and Resources
- Facebook: Child Mind Institute
- Instagram: @childmindinstitute
- Twitter: @childmindinst
- Website: https://childmind.org/bio/laura-phillips-psyd-abpdn/
Follow along with this episode’s transcript by clicking here.