As the International Day of Happiness approaches on March 20, we’re highlighting some of the things that we think make life great. Pick and choose your favorites from our list to watch, read, contemplate and share happiness!
1. “People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost.” —H. Jackson Brown
2. Read The Happiness of Pursuit by Chris Guillebeau.
3. Listen to “Happy” by Pharrell Williams.
4. Watch E.T.
5. Make someone else happy.
6. “Happiness is a direction, not a place.” —Sydney J. Harris
7. Read Happiness: A Guide to Developing Life's Most Important Skill by Matthieu Ricard and Daniel Goleman.
8. Listen to “Love and Happiness” by Al Green.
9. Watch Amelie.
10. Smile. It’s contagious.
11. “At some point, you gotta let go, and sit still, and allow contentment to come to you.” —Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love
12. Read Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence by Rick Hanson.
13. Listen to “Shiny Happy People” by R.E.M.
14. Watch I Love You, Man.
16. “I've got sunshine on a cloudy day.” —The Temptations
17. Read The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch.
18. Listen to “Happy Together” by The Turtles.
19. Watch or read Julie and Julia.
20. Take a walk on a nice day.
21. “Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.” —Jack Kerouac
22. Read The Wisdom of Compassion by the Dalai Lama and Victor Chan.
23. Listen to “If It Makes You Happy,” by Sheryl Crow.
24. Watch Yes Man.
25. “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson.
26. Read You Are Here: Discovering the Magic of the Present Moment by Thich Nhat Hanh and Melvin McLeod
27. Take the #HappyActs Challenge.
28. Enjoy the silence.
29. Watch Happy Feet.
30. Listen to “The Hallelujah Chorus,” Handel’s Messiah (Easter is April 5)
31. Be kind—to yourself and others.
32. Send a letter of gratitude to a positive influence in your life.
33. Come back in April for 33 Ideas on Green Living.