Things that will make you laugh all month long
We continue our Year of Happiness with 30 days of Laughter. Pick and choose your favorite ideas from our list of things to do, watch, read, contemplate… and share!
1. “We don’t laugh because we’re happy; we’re happy because we laugh.” — William James
2. Read Bossypants by Tina Fey.
3. Attend a laughter yoga class.
4. Watch Airplane!
5. "The first thing that you lose on a diet is brain mass." — Margaret Cho
6. “If you’re too busy to laugh, you are too busy.” — Proverb
7. "When I’m sad, I can usually cheer myself up by singing because my voice is worse than my problems." — Anonymous
8. Go to a comedy club and support up-and-coming comics.
9. Watch Modern Family.
10. Read Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris—out loud.
11. Listen to a comedy album by Maria Bamford.
12. The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza parlor and says, “Make me one with everything.”
13. Ask a child to tell you a joke.
14. Watch old episodes of Friends.
15. Read the “Banana” poem by Melissa Balmain:
Bananas are clannish, bananas are true—
an interdependent and unified crew.
One day they're all greenish and hard as bamboo;
the next, they conspire to rot through and through.
So if a well-ripened banana’s for you,
then keep the thing lonely, whatever you do.
— from Walking in on People (available in June)
16.Try to get your dog to smile.
17. Teach your kids “The Song that Never Ends.”
18. "I spilled spot remover on my dog and now he's gone." — Stephen Wright
19. “The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.” — Mark Twain
20. Watch George Lopez's HBO special.
21. Read This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection by Carol Burnett.
22. Watch Black-ish.
23. The past, present and future walk into a bar. It was tense.
24. Listen to a comedy record by George Carlin.
25. Watch National Lampoon’s Vacation.
26. Read Funnybone by Pearce W. Hammond.
27. “A day without laughter is a day wasted.” — Charlie Chaplin
28. Watch anything with Bill Murray and/or Gilda Radner.
29. Blow bubbles with your kids.
30. “Laughter is an instant vacation.” — Milton Berle