March 20 has been established as the annual International Day of Happiness and all 193 United Nations member states have adopted a resolution calling for happiness to be given greater priority.
In 2011, the UN General Assembly adopted a resolution which recognized happiness as a “fundamental human goal” and called for “a more inclusive, equitable and balanced approach to economic growth that promotes the happiness and well-being of all peoples.”
The first UN conference on Happiness was held in 2012 and the UN General Assembly adopted a resolution which decreed that the International Day of Happiness would be observed every year on 20 March. It was celebrated for the first time in 2013.
One way to celebrate the International Day of Happiness is by creating a happiness wall. A happiness wall is a place full of fun and camaraderie, and it is a good way to remind us that small, thoughtful expressions can have a big impact on others.
Here are some of the ways you can spread happiness:
Participate—help us make the world a happier place.
- Spread Happiness—one small act can change the world. Do a #HappyAct and tell us about it! #HappyActs #LiveHappy
- Happiness wall—Creating your own wall is easy! Whether you’re a do-it-yourselfer or a keep-it-simple kind of person, you can celebrate happiness this March in honor of International Day of Happiness. Let’s get this party started! Choose if you want to download a wall, purchase a poster or create your own! Register your wall! Tell us how you share happiness! Take a picture with your printed wall and share on social media. #HappyActs #LiveHappy #YourCity
Learn—information about happiness delivered to you.
- Listen to our popular podcast Live Happy Now brought to you by the editors of Live Happy magazine. Bringing you scientifically proven facts and ideas to live a happier and more meaningful life through interviews with positive psychology and well-being thought leaders.
- Receive our email newsletters to get the latest information and articles on the website, plus announcements of upcoming events and special product offers.
- Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest for happiness quotes, facts and news stories, as well as to engage with a community of like-minded people sharing happiness.
Share—become a catalyst for positive change in the lives of others.
- Bring smiles all around by wearing Live Happy clothes and gear!
- Smile! It’s a gift that people will instantly reciprocate!
- The more you share happiness with others, the happier you’ll feel.